Deadly black fungus in covid 19 patients Mucormycosis ?This alarming affliction ,although rare, is a dangerous fungal infection, which can affect the nose, lungs, eyes and sometimes the brain.Known as mucormycosis and also called “black fungus” has been observed in a number of COVID 19 patients recently.
What is the disease?
This Fungal infection is caused by a group of mould known as mucormycetes present naturally in the environment.
- The infection usually starts from the nose and spreads to eyes.
- As the infection spreads it paralyzes muscles around the pupils of the eyes, leading to blindness.
- If the fungal infection spreads to the brain, the patient can get meningitis
Mucormycosis, the black fungus maiming COVID patients.
The COVID survivors are facing another major concern: mucormycosis/black fungus.Raise in the case of black fungus among COVID19 survivors.Covid patients with weak immunity, diabetic patients and prolonged ICU treatment are more prone to this deadly infection.Infection is worse this time around.These infections prove to be fatal if they are left untreated.
How is it linked to COVID19 and is it contagious?
The reason behind the rise of the infection among COVID 19 patients is may be being triggered by the use of steroids life saving drug for severe and critically ill COVID19 patients(steroid is life saving drug but they reduce immunity and push up sugar level in both diabetic and non diabetic COVID19 patients).
The other thing which can happen is often there is a lot of moisture around the oxygen generating equipment like a mask, that makes a mold grow more.
Black fungus is not contagious.
Patients suffering from mucormycosis/black fungus typically have symptoms of (it depend on where the body fungus is growing) ;
If fungus grow in sinus and brain:
- One sided facial swelling
- Nasal or sinus congestion
- Black lesion on nasal bridge or inside the mouth.
- Chest pain
- Shortness of breath
- Abdominal pain
- Nausea, vomiting
- Gastrointestinal bleeding
- Swelling of pain in the eye
- Drooping of eyelids
- Blurred and finally loss of vision
Warn against taking the black fungus lightly as it can lead to extensive surgeries
- Removing of lung lobe or whole lungs
- There should be surgically removing the eye to stop the infection from reaching the brain.
- Sometimes the jawbone should be removed .(patient suffering from mucormycotic among them 40% have lost their sight)
How is it prevented and treated
We need to take a very simple measure like :
Clean the mouth,throat,nose and ensure that we can control the glucose , sugar very tightly,blood glucose level should be monitored post COVID discharge and also diabetic patients ,maintain hygiene during oxygen therapy and use clean sterile water in humidifiers during oxygen therapy and antibiotics and antifungal medicines should be used correctly as prescribed.
About Author of The Powerful Foundation to reduce Non Communicable disease – Food/Dietary habits
- ✍️ Miss Isha Dhakal
- BNS specialized in oncology
- BPKMCH Nursing College
Recommended Citation :Dhakal, I., 2021. Deadly black fungus in covid 19 patients, Mucormycosis? [online] Nepal Health Magazine. Available at: <https://nepalhealthmag.com/deadly-black-fungus-in-covid-19-patients-mucormycosis/> [Accessed 17 May 2021].
- Project Coordinator | BSP | ngo jobs
- Head Nurse | IOM Nepal | kathmandu jobs 2022
- Staff Nurse / Medical Nurse | kathmandu jobs 2022
- Program (Cervical Cancer Screening Program) | Karuna Foundation | ngo jobs
- ANM/Staff Nurse | SLF | ngo jobs 2022￼
- Nutrition Officer | MCDC | ngo jobs 2022
- HOW TO WRITE A LITERATURE REVIEW?
- Staff Nurse | Medical Nurse | latest jobs 2022
- Senior Research Associate | CIMMYT | ingo jobs 2022￼
- Strategies for Effective Public Health Leadership
- Health Programme Officer | District Programme Officer | NRCS | ngo jobs 2022￼
- Lab Technician | Lab Assistant | Staff Nurse | Health Assistant | A.N.M. | A.H.W | latest jobs 2022
bachelor jobs bph jobs covid19 health health for all health guidelines new health jobs healthjobs in nepal health jobs vacancy health public health update ingo jobs jobs after passing bachelor jobs for bph jobs in nepal jobs in ngo ngo jobs ngo jobs vacancy ngo job vacancy 2021 nurse jobs nurse jobs 2021 nurse vacancy nursing career nursing insurance nursing job nursing jobs nursing jobs 2021 nursing jobs in nepal nursing law nursing officer nursing vacancy Public health Public health concern public health important days Public health in Nepal publichealthjobs publichealth jobs public health updated Staff Nurse Staff Nurse and HA Vacancy | Nepal Army 2021 staff nurse vacancy staff nurse vacancy in ngo 2021 nepal staff nurse vacancy kathmandu who guidelines WHO official