The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit agricultural research and training organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
CIMMYT is seeking an experienced professional to support the One CGIAR South Asia Regional Integrated Initiative ‘Transforming Agri-Food Systems in South Asia’ (TAFSSA). TAFSSA aims to support efforts to move South Asia’s agri-food systems towards more diverse, productive, profitable, inclusive, and environmentally sound futures that support sustainable healthy diets for all.
Position title: Senior Research Associate
Duty station: Kathmandu, Nepal
Major duties and responsibilities
- Work with senior staff to facilitate the research and partnership activities implemented in TAFSSA’s Work Packages 2 & 5 on ‘Transforming agroecosystems and rural economies to boost income, generate jobs, and support diversified food production within environmental boundaries’ and ‘Building resilience and mitigating environmental impact’
- Lead efforts to develop, propose, and implement complex research techniques and procedures for the analysis of environmental systems and food systems with a focus on ecological boundaries and footprints of food systems in South Asia (e.g., water, nitrogen, GHG emissions, life cycle analyses).
- Lead efforts coordinating research teams in the design, the research, and the implementation of techniques for modeling the environmental sustainability and resilience of food systems in South Asia.
- Take lead responsibility in assuring those analytical techniques and/or fieldwork are developed in compliance with established quality standards.
- Perform research and statistical analysis of the information collected on ecological boundaries and footprints and lead the development of a database to present the results achieved by the project, under the supervisor’s guidance.
- Coach other staff members on data acquisition, analysis, interpretation, and curation
- Assist in writing papers for international scientific journal standards.
- Supervise field activities as assigned and report abnormal situations that arise in the development of the project assigned.
- Take lead responsibility to carry out special investigations as assigned by the supervisor/project lead.
- Review publications for their inclusion into the database and collect information on the agricultural sector, to prepare articles and research reports.
- Take a leading responsibility as a team member to develop periodic reports and tables that allow the program scientists to track their projects.
- Participate in the publication of research results through annual reports, presentations, and publications.
- Participate in special projects with other research institutions and international organizations.
- Strongly contribute to the training and updating of knowledge and research techniques to the rest of the staff working in the unit and keep updated on new research techniques or processes.
- Visit and supervise other CIMMYT fieldwork programs and/or field programs of collaborators.
- Take a leading role in conducting field surveys and interviews with farmers and other stakeholders, and analyze this information, for inclusion in CIMMYT publications.
- Coordinate efforts to raise awareness about project activities, products, and outcomes among stakeholders, partners, policymakers, and the general public.
- Assisting in monitoring and evaluation and reporting efforts by providing quality input and reports in a timely manner (as indicated by project lead and supervisor).
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- Masters’ degree in environmental sciences, hydrology, systems analysis in agriculture, ecology, or another related field.
- Advanced knowledge of relevant administrative and operating protocols and policies required for research associates
- Specialized knowledge of environmental systems (esp. water, nitrogen, carbon cycles, live cycle analysis and/or environmental footprinting, ecosystem services) and their interactions with agricultural systems
- Medium to advanced managerial competence.
- At least 8 years of professional work experience in research and research for development projects.
- Requires conceptual knowledge of theories, practices, and procedures within environmental sustainability of food systems including working with large spatial datasets.
- Familiarity with GIS and remote sensing is a benefit
- Familiarity with crop modelling and gridded spatial modelling is a benefit
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
- Demonstrated ability to write, publish, and disseminate technical reports, success stories, and promotional materials.
- Ability to work in a multi-disciplinary, multi-institutional, and multi-cultural environment.
- Complexity of thinking needed: Work is complex and technical in scope.
- Regularly requires a combination of mental abilities such as probing, analysis, careful judgment, flexible and original thinking, and creativity.
- Involves the application of concepts from environmental sciences and agriculture
- Understand the linkages with other disciplines. Create multi-disciplinary projects and initiatives.
- Ability to identify and finalize solutions to field problems (soil, water management, farm machinery, nutrient management, food transport, and processing).
- Chooses options and solutions for complex problems.
- Interpersonal skills:
- Frequent contact with people other than immediate colleagues and with external entities.
- Ability to communicate and relate effectively, internally and externally is important.
- Purpose is to share information, and secure the cooperation and commitment of individuals, large project teams, or external institutions.
- In addition to effective communication, the jobholder has to motivate and provide leadership.
- Information Technology needed: Proficiency to use standard software at an advanced level; knowledge of R and potentially Python for data analysis.
Candidates must go through the link below and submit the application with detail information’s no than September 21st, 2022.
Incomplete applications (without CV, cover letter and reference) will not be considered.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- Project Coordinator | BSP | ngo jobs
- Head Nurse | IOM Nepal | kathmandu jobs 2022
- Staff Nurse / Medical Nurse | kathmandu jobs 2022
- Program (Cervical Cancer Screening Program) | Karuna Foundation | ngo jobs
- ANM/Staff Nurse | SLF | ngo jobs 2022￼
- Nutrition Officer | MCDC | ngo jobs 2022
- HOW TO WRITE A LITERATURE REVIEW?
- Staff Nurse | Medical Nurse | latest jobs 2022
- Senior Research Associate | CIMMYT | ingo jobs 2022￼
- Strategies for Effective Public Health Leadership
- Health Programme Officer | District Programme Officer | NRCS | ngo jobs 2022￼
- Lab Technician | Lab Assistant | Staff Nurse | Health Assistant | A.N.M. | A.H.W | latest jobs 2022
bachelor jobs bph jobs covid19 health health for all health guidelines new health jobs healthjobs in nepal health jobs vacancy health public health update ingo jobs jobs after passing bachelor jobs for bph jobs in nepal jobs in ngo ngo jobs ngo jobs vacancy ngo job vacancy 2021 nurse jobs nurse jobs 2021 nurse vacancy nursing career nursing insurance nursing job nursing jobs nursing jobs 2021 nursing jobs in nepal nursing law nursing officer nursing vacancy Public health Public health concern public health important days Public health in Nepal publichealthjobs publichealth jobs public health updated Staff Nurse Staff Nurse and HA Vacancy | Nepal Army 2021 staff nurse vacancy staff nurse vacancy in ngo 2021 nepal staff nurse vacancy kathmandu who guidelines WHO official
Hey there, I am Nirdesh Baral, founder of Nepal Health Magazine. I am a Tech geek by passion , Public health practitioner by profession and an Ailurophile by heart and a patriot by birth