Shahid Dharmabhakta National transplant Center- SDNTC (Human Organ Transplant Center- HOTC) is situated at Dudhpati-17, Bhaktapur, a beautiful and a serene place at the distance of 12 kilometers from Kathmandu. It was established in 2012 by the Ministry of Health to strengthen and expand organ transplantation services in the country. The outdoor inauguration of the center was facilitated by the then Health Minister Rajendra Mahato, while the indoor service was instituted by the then Health Secretary Dr. Pravin Mishra. This center started its services merely with the out-patient and dialysis services, but within a few years of its establishment it has extended its services beyond dialysis and organ transplantation.
It is under the directorship of Senior transplant surgeon Dr. Pukar Chandra Shrestha
An estimated figure shows that the incidence of kidney failure in Nepal is 3,000. Likewise, 1,000 people develop liver failure annually. The estimated diabetic population who might be benefitted from pancreas transplantation in Nepal is 30% which is 10% of total population. Thus, increasing concern towards non- communicable diseases and organ failure resulted in the establishment of this center.
The specific objectives of this center are:
1. Strengthen and expand organ transplantation services in the country.
2. Provide and expand other specialized services
3. Provide high quality health care at a modest or free of cost
4. To adopt various measures to increase the rate of living and brain-dead organ donation and uplift gender equity in organ transplantation and.
5. Undertake research related to human organ transplant to understand the state of kidney and other organ failure in Nepal.
6. Advocate for policy interventions
7. Organize free health camps across Nepal to screen any kind of diseases.
8. Conduct educational activities to raise awareness regarding organ failure, organ transplantation and organ donation.
9. To produce high level human resources by providing structured training in various aspects of services to expand the services across the country.
With continuous hard work and world class results in transplantation, this center has become successful in leading the country in the field of organ donation and transplantation. In the Fiscal year 2016-17, this center created history by adding various milestones in the orbit of organ donation and transplantation.
1. Organ Transplant Act 2072 and regulation 2073 was passed opening doors for cadaveric organ donation, pair- exchange programs and expansion of living donor pool.
2. First liver transplant in the country was performed on December 7, 2016 after 3 days of approval of transplant regulations.
3. First brain death donor kidney transplant was performed on May 11, 2017.
4. Dialysis and kidney transplant were made totally free on 2016 and 2017 respectively.
5. The center performed 132 kidney transplants within 1 year period of FY 2016-17.
6. Performed first open heart surgery on November 17, 2016 in the preparation for heart and lung transplants in future.
1. Kidney and Liver transplantation:
This center is the only dedicated organ transplant center in the country carrying out more than 150 kidney transplants a year. It has already conducted more than 500 kidney transplants in half a decade of its establishment and is also the pioneer of liver transplant and deceased donor organ transplantation in the nation, having conducted three successful live donor liver transplantations and four kidney transplantation from two brain-dead deceased donors.
The average cost of renal transplant is up to $25,000 in neighboring countries, while this service is free for its citizens in Nepal. Likewise, the cost of liver transplant in neighboring countries is as high as $ 150,000 while it costs about $ 20,000 for its citizens in Nepal.
The flow of patients seeking kidney transplantation services from neighboring and overseas countries is also in increasing trend.
Free hemodialysis, CAPD, CRRT, Plasma exchange
Mini PCNL, Cystoscoy, TURP, TURBT, URS, Uroflowmetry
4. Gastroenterology and Hepatology:
Gastroscopy, Colonoscopy, ERCP, Endoscopic Ultrasound, Lap. Cholecystectomy, Liver and Pancreas resection.
Official Notice for Nursing Supervisor, Anesthesia Assistant, Lab Technician
Shahid Dharmabhakta National Transplant Center
- Community Health Department Supervisor | nursing jobs 2023 | Tansen Hospital
- Program Officer |Public Health Nurse | ngo jobs 2023 | LEADS Nepal
- Checklist for ensuring the quality of violence against women surveys | WHO
- Program Coordinator | Community Health Nurse | Dhulikhel hospital
- World Mental Health Day 2023 | Know theme
- Program Coordinator | Advocacy Officer | Local Focal Person | NFDN | ngo jobs 2023
- Staff Nurse | OT Staff Nurse | Lalbandi | latest vacancy
- Inequality analysis using Excel: Disaggregated data | OpenWHO
- Staff Nurse | IOM | latest vacancy in Kathmandu
- Program Coordinator | Save the Children |ngo jobs 2023
- Communication Officer | AN | ngo jobs 2023
- Counsellor | SOS | ngo jobs 2023
bachelor jobs bph jobs covid19 health health for all health guidelines new health jobs healthjobs healthjobs in nepal health jobs vacancy health public health update ingo jobs jobs after passing bachelor jobs for bph jobs in nepal jobs in ngo ngo jobs ngo jobs vacancy ngo jobs vacancy for bph ngo job vacancy 2021 nurse jobs nurse jobs 2021 nurse vacancy nursing insurance nursing job nursing jobs nursing jobs 2021 nursing jobs in nepal nursing law nursing officer Nursing Vacancy Public health Public health concern public health important days Public health in Nepal publichealth jobs public health updated Staff Nurse Staff Nurse and HA Vacancy | Nepal Army 2021 staff nurse vacancy staff nurse vacancy in ngo 2021 nepal staff nurse vacancy kathmandu who guidelines WHO official
Hey there, I am Nirdesh Baral, founder of Nepal Health Magazine. I am a Tech geek by passion , Public health practitioner by profession and an Ailurophile by heart and a patriot by birth