Nepal Nursing Council (NNC) is established under Nepal Nursing Council Act 2052 (1996). It came into force on 2053-03-02 (16 June 1996). NNC is an autonomous body formed to maintain quality nursing and midwifery education for the provision of quality nursing and midwifery services to the public. Explore Nepal Nursing Council – Organization Profile , function , power and duties
The main functions of the council are: Nepal Nursing Council – Organization Profile
- Register the nurse and midwife through licensing examination and manage the registration of qualified nursing/midwifery professionals.
- Formulate policy required to operate the nursing and midwifery profession smoothly and to provide better care to the public situations and monitor the quality of nursing and midwifery services for better nursing care.
- Maintain the standardization in nursing and midwifery education through evaluating and reviewing the nursing and midwifery curriculum, the terms and conditions of admission and examination systems.
- Formulate professional code of conduct of the nursing and midwifery professionals and to take action against those professionals who violate such code of conduct.
- Develop the scope of practice for nursing and midwifery professionals to determine the work of nursing and midwifery professionals.
- Publish the annual Journal of the Nepal Nursing Council.
Nursing Education Programs
As of June 2019 there were 277 nursing and 3 midwifery courses running in Nepal among nursing college , Proficiency level nursing 121, B. Sc. nursing 50, Bachelor in nursing 45, master level 12 and 49 Auxiliary nurse-midwife (ANM) .
Tag : Nepal Nursing Council – Organization Profile
|S.No||Nursing Education Programs||Number|
|1||Auxiliary nurse Midwife (ANM)||49|
|2||Proficiency certificate level (PCL)||121|
|4||Bachelor in nursing science (BNS)||45|
|5||Master in nursing (MN/MSC)||12|
|1||Bachelor in Midwifery||3|
The NNC had registered 88,675 Nepali Nurses (PCL 55,534 and 33,141 ANM) and 843 foreign nurses till 2019 June categorized in following tables
|S.no||Categories of Nurses||Number|
Major activities carried out by NNC in fiscal year 2075/76
- Completed “midwifery educators’ training” for two batch 14 participants in each batch with help of UNFPA and Giz.
- Develop the code of conduct for nurses and midwives.
- Started specialized online registration for master level of nursing
- Expansion of bachelor level of midwifery education.
- Initiation bachelor level nursing education (oncology major subject).
- Approved curriculum for PCI midwifery prepared by CTEVT and MoHP.
- During the 2076 the council held three national licensing examinations for nursing graduates.
- Prepared the proposed draft of NNC act according federal system and sent for Amendment.
- Revised the different tools such as accreditation, monitoring, feasibility, self assessment to the all level of education
- Developed the scope of practice for midwife.
- Developed of nursing and midwife regulation.
- Preparation for the Registration and license examination of bachelor level midwives and prepares guideline for licensing exams.
- Revised minimum requirements for different level of nursing course such as proficiency certificate level of nursing, bachelor in nursing, masters of nursing.
- Amendment of NNC act as per
- Development of rules regulations of midwifery education and practice according to the federal democratic republic of Nepal.
- Maintain the online and up to date information of previously registered nurses
- Development the scope of practice for different level of nurse.
- Separate the licensing system for PCL and bachelor level nursing program.
Power, Duties & Responsibilities
- the power, function and duties of the council shall be as follows:-
- To formulate policy required to operate the nursing profession smoothly
- To provide recognition to a teaching institution ,
- To evaluate and review the curriculum, terms and conditions of admission ,examination system and other necessary terms and conditions and infrastructure of a teaching institution which has been granted recognition pursuant to clause (b),
- If a teaching institution is found form the evaluation and review made pursuant to clause (c) to have failed to met the standards determined by the council, to make a recommendation for revoking the approval for operation of such institution.
- To determine the qualifications of the nursing professionals and to issue certification to the qualified nursing professional after registering his /her name in the registration book ,
- To determine the work limit of nursing professionals,
- To formulate professional code of conduct of the nursing professionals and to take action against those nursing professionals who violate such code of conduct .
- Prior to granting approval to establish and operate a teaching institution, the concerned body shall consult the council .the council shall provide its opinion on that matter after examining weather such teaching institution has met the required standard and infrastructure or not . The concerned body shall reach to a decision in respect of granting or not granting approval for establishment and operation of teaching institution on the basic of such opinion of the council. In cases where approval for establishment and operation of a teaching institution is granted, a notice there of shall be published in the Nepal Gazette.
- One chairperson nominated by Nepal government among the nurse meeting criteria decide by council Act.
- One member nominated by Nepal Government among the nurses who have 12 years experience after at least Bachelors Degree in Nursing Education .
- Two members are nominated by Nepal Government among the Campus Chiefs of Nursing College.
- Ex-office member chair person of NAN .
- One member designated by Director General of Department of Health.
- One member designated by the Dean of IOM.
- Three members nominated by Nepal Government among the nursing chiefs (Administrator) working in regional /Zonal Hospitals and Directorate.
- One member nominated by Nepal Government among nationally renowned person on behalf of consumer group.
- One member as a representative of CTEVT.
Note : Tenure of members is 4’years.In order to discharge the daily administrative function and activities of Council the Government of Nepal may appoint the post of registrar among the nurses who has met criteria asked by Act.Other administrative staffs may be appoint by Council according to the need and asked by work load in the council.
- NDHS 2022 | KEY INDICATORS REPORT
- ARH Coordinator / District Lead |MRDCC | ngo jobs 2022
- Research Assistant | KU | latest jobs 2022
- Program Manager | SAPPROS Nepal
- Junior DRR Officer | ngo jobs 2022
Hey there, I am Nirdesh Baral, founder of Nepal Health Magazine. I am a Tech geek by passion , Public health practitioner by profession and an Ailurophile by heart and a patriot by birth