Every year lightning kills thousands of people worldwide. International Lightning Safety Day was initiated to not only call attention to the dangers of lightning, but also to draw attention to the problem related to lightning safety and protection in developing countries.. Lightning has proved to be fatal for several people in the past and has even been regarded as the leading cause of death from natural disasters in Nepal.
Lighting ( Thunderbolt Disater in Nepal)
Thunderbolts getting deadlier each year as country remains unprepared about this disaster.
Lightning is one of the deadliest natural disasters in Nepal. Every year, several dozens of people are killed by lightning strikes during the pre-monsoon season.A study published earlier this month has shown that 1,927 people lost their lives and 20,569 others were affected— injuries or property damage — to lightning strikes in Nepal between 1971 and 2019.
The findings of the study published in Weather, Climate and Society, a journal published by the American Meteorological Society, analysed lightning fatality events, fatality rates, and economic loss from 1971 to 2019, relying on data collected from the UN’s Des Inventar dataset and the Disaster Risk Reduction portal of the Nepal government.The analysis revealed that the overall countrywide lightning fatality rate of the entire period was 1.77 per million per year.
For minimizing losses to various disasters, including lightning strikes and making weather prediction more accurate, the state has been working to install at least three weather radars. Of the three planned, just one has been installed in Surkhet. But this also goes out of order every now and then, according to officials. Lightning detection centres, together with weather radars, enable now casting, provide real-time data on cloud movements and other atmospheric activities, and this all makes it possible to predict lightning strikes a few hours in advance and save lives.Despite these technologies being available in Nepal, the country has continued to lose lives and suffer damage as they aren’t fully functional.[The KathMadnu Post]
How to be protected from Lighting ?
- Don’t stay outdoors – If it is raining heavily or lightning is expected to strike, stay indoors to avoid being a target.
- Do not take shelter under a tall tree – If you are stuck outside, try to steer clear of tall trees and look for shorter ones as lighting often hits the highest point on the ground.
- Listen to advisory – Listen to the alert sounded by the weather department and the government. Take a note of the tips mentioned by them. Postpone your travel plans if the advisory warns of thunderstorm or lightning.
- Avoid bathing, washing dishes – Avoid contact with water during lighting. Do not bathe, shower, wash dishes, or have any other contact with water during a thunderstorm. Lightning can travel through plumbing.
- Use only cellular, cordless phones – Avoid using electronic equipment of all types. Lightning can travel through electrical systems as radio reception systems. It is, however, safe to use cordless or cellular phones.
- Do not lie on concrete floors – Avoid concrete floors and walls. Do not lie on concrete floors during lightning.
- Avoid open spaces – Stay off balconies, porches and out of open garages or car ports.
- World Mental Health Day 2023 | Know theme
- Program Coordinator | Advocacy Officer | Local Focal Person | NFDN | ngo jobs 2023
- Staff Nurse | OT Staff Nurse | Lalbandi | latest vacancy
- Inequality analysis using Excel: Disaggregated data | OpenWHO
- Staff Nurse | IOM | latest vacancy in Kathmandu
- Program Coordinator | Save the Children |ngo jobs 2023
- Communication Officer | AN | ngo jobs 2023
- Counsellor | SOS | ngo jobs 2023
- Nursing Assistant | ECHS | jobs 2023 latest
- Psychosocial Counselor | BVS | ngo jobs 2023
- Health Supervisor | Education Supervisor | Pharmacy| Logistic Officer | PHASE Nepal |ngo jobs 2023
- Data Analyst | CIMMYT | ingo jobs 2023
bachelor jobs bph jobs health health for all health guidelines new health jobs healthjobs healthjobs in nepal health jobs vacancy health public health update ingo jobs jobs after passing bachelor jobs for bph jobs in nepal jobs in ngo ngo jobs ngo jobs vacancy ngo jobs vacancy for bph ngo job vacancy 2021 nurse jobs nurse jobs 2021 nurse vacancy nursing insurance nursing job nursing jobs nursing jobs 2021 nursing jobs in nepal nursing law nursing officer Nursing Vacancy Public health Public health concern public health important days Public health in Nepal publichealthjobs publichealth jobs public health updated Staff Nurse Staff Nurse and HA Vacancy | Nepal Army 2021 staff nurse vacancy staff nurse vacancy in ngo 2021 nepal staff nurse vacancy kathmandu who guidelines WHO official
Hey there, I am Nirdesh Baral, founder of Nepal Health Magazine. I am a Tech geek by passion , Public health practitioner by profession and an Ailurophile by heart and a patriot by birth